Saturday, August 8, 2009

Seattle/ Chicago: Jessie is a Nerd

So, recently I took a week off work to go to Seattle for fun with my sis and her friend, and also to Chicago for a family reunion. While on these trips, I got the chance to thoroughly indulge my nerdy side. Not only was there a Pirate's Plunder shop in Seattle, but the first location of the world-wide Harry Potter Exhibition is in Chicago at the Science and Industry Museum. Also in Chicago, the Field Museum's special exhibit is Real Pirates. It was like travel paradise for me.


First up, my review of the Harry Potter Expo:

Apparently, they've had a quarter of a million people go through since it's been open in April. That's crazy, and also easy to imagine since they're pushing around 40 people through every 8 minutes. There was an optional "audio" tour, but I thought "Um, why would someone like me need that?" Before our group was sent in, the leader did some trivia. The first question I heard was "When is Fred and George Weasley's birthday?" I, of course, in true Hermione fashion, shot my hand up as fast as a I could, and proudly answered "April 1st". Of course, after that, I let the little kids have all the glory. I have some dignity left, you know.

Once inside the exhibit, a few people got to be "sorted". One of the chicks said her favorite house is Slytherin, because "Draco is pretty". The guide was glad it wasn't because of any moral reasons. Seriously, I couldn't make this up. After that we got to watch a video montage that almost brought tears to my eyes, because I am that pathetic of a nerd. We then entered through the Fat Lady portrait of the Gryffindor common room and continued on from there.

I loved the Gilderoy Lockhart set up- it was perfect to see all the costumes and the props you barely get to see in the movies. I also got to pull up my own mandrake (or, mandragora) roots, which made a large shrieking sound. I also got to practice with a quaffle and sit in Hagrid's chair. Awesome, right? Overall, I think it was worth it to a dedicated fan like me just for all the props you remember from the books that were only backgrounds in the movies. The actual costumes were also fascinating as well.

Next up: Real Pirates

Now, this exhibit wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was extremely interesting. They chose to showcase the journey of one ship- the Whydaa (Ok I'm spelling that wrong). It actually started off as a slave ship, but was taken over by Sam Bellamy and became part of his pirate fleet. The exhibit aimed to quench a few common pirate rumors, and try as best as possible to capture what true pirate life was like in the Golden Age. It was fascinating to see that about half of the average pirate crew was of African or part-African descent. Consider this- piracy was illegal, and you faced hagning and public torture if you were caught. However, the honest sailor barely made any money, if at all, with all proceeds of merchant vessels going to the captain. And for escaped slaves, or Africans trying to evade slavery altogether, a society that allowed them an equal vote and equal share of wealth with all other men was highly appealing, and the only alternative to a life of suffering.

This particular fleet was hit by a hurricane, and the ship went down. The few survivors were all tried and hanged for piracy (except for the Carpenter, who claimed he had been forced into service), and the loot the ship was carrying at the time wasn't recovered. People at the time tried to find the wreck, but were unable to access it. In 1984, someone managed to piece it all together through some extraordinary research and use of technology, recover the treasure, and all sorts of artifacts from the pirate ship itself. The whole exhibit was fun and educational at the same time, and I loved it.


Also, because of this exhibit, there was Pirate stuff going on all over Chicago. When we took a trip to Navy Pier, the mall had a skit going on "Battle for the Booty". This consisted of four actors decked out in rather shnazzy pirate garb stage fighting, and then the song would change and they'd have these choreographed dance routines. Also at one point, they came out into the crowd and I got to dance with one of the dashing pirate men. Hellz yea!

Souvenirs:

Oh yes, there was some shopping

In Seattle, I got some really awesome shot glasses from the Pirate Plunder shop. I also got a cute pirate halter top. I, of course, wanted to buy everything, but that's beside the point.

At Harry Potter, I acquired a mug from the shop that changes ala Marauder's Map style when filled with hot liquid (how cool is that?!), some fudge flies, a T-shirt, and my mom picked up a bunch of postcards and such. I also got a Hogwarts School Crest wall scroll that is already hanging up.

Other pirate plunder includes a very neat pirate bracelet and lots of temporary tattoos. You never know when you might need them...

Well, that's about all for the nerdiness. Tune in next time for the complete culinary chronicles from the trip!


3 comments:

  1. I really want you to have a souvenir that you're not telling me about that you bought for me. I'm so jealous you got to sit in Hagrid's chair and pull up a mandrake and and and and...it's just not fair!

    If only I could shoot an arrow with Legolas' bow, try on some hobbit feet and walk through little round doorways...I'd be happy too!

    Anyway, I'm jealous. And I love your blog. Once I get mine set up we can be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Carrie, I do have some souvenirs for you, but they're not HP related. Unless you want a bookmark or something :P You will totally dig your present anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is an updated on my souvenirs: Pirate shot glasses in action!

    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/Eliria/th_Cosmos.jpg

    ReplyDelete